In today’s times where cement, tiles and carpeting have become king, many people still choose the warm and natural look of hardwood flooring. High quality hardwood floors does not come cheap, so it’s important that you know how to properly protect and maintain it, especially that it does not hide dirt and grime the same way carpets can. It might seem that hardwood flooring is high maintenance, but it won’t be so difficult once you establish your own routine. Below are some pro tips to keep in mind.
- Furniture polishes. Commercial polishes and even hairspray can cloud and damage hardwood finish. If these chemicals get to your flooring, wipe them off with a damp cloth immediately. For thorough cleaning, clean your floors with non-ammonia window cleaner instead.
- Water. Aside from ruining the finish of hardwood floors, water can also penetrate the wood and leave an unsightly stain. Make sure your flooring is protected from the rain and potted plants are placed on trays before they are set on the floor. Also, immediately wipe wet floors before they get a chance to dry out.
- Weekly vacuums. This might be the most important habit you need to get into. Vacuuming protects the finish and appearance of your floors, especially that dust can easily destroy it. If you can, get a vacuum that come with interchangeable attachments and use a brush or anything with a felt surface. Dust mops or microfiber sweepers also make for a great alternative.
- Wood floor cleaners. Ensure that a no-wax wood floor cleaner is within easy access so you can quickly clean small problems before they grow big. Immediately wipe liquid spills and remove any residue with the cleaner before they can stain the floor.
- Area rugs. High-traffic areas can wear down wood finish quickly. Reduce the wear with a beautiful throw rug that does not come with rubber or vinyl backing as this traps humidity, eventually staining and damaging the wood.
Yes, it will require some time and effort to get keep your hardwood flooring looking its best, but this is just a small price to pay for such a great investment. With the right maintenance tips, you can enjoy clean and gorgeous floors for years. But if you think that you won’t be able to keep up maintenance on your own, contact a reputable hardwood expert or company in your area now. These professionals will effectively do the job for you.